Travel Together with TOTA
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH ACCESS BC & SPINAL CORD INJURY BC
TOTA has committed to becoming a world-renowned accessible destination. The goal is to promote Universal Design and Accessibility in all aspects of community and tourism. This includes all experiences, products and services in the Thompson Okanagan region.
Universal design and accessibility allows for full inclusion and equal opportunity for people with different abilities, and it nurtures a sense of community, belonging and well-being for all involved. For people with different abilities, universal accessibility is an essential piece to living, working, playing and travelling with and alongside family and friends.
TOTA is beginning the journey of making this beautiful region more accessible. This work is in line with, and inspired by the UN Sustainable Destination Goals, especially goal ten (Reduced Inequalities) and eleven (Sustainable Cities & Communities), as well as others.
As such, TOTA has recently hired a Regional Accessibility Specialist, who is eager to spark the conversation and provide awareness and consultations to accessible travel and tourism in our region.
TOTA’s Regional Accessibility Specialist is currently engaged in:
- Creating relationships with the tourism partners and stakeholders in the TOTA region
- Site reviews and recommendations on universal accessibility and design
- Universal design and accessibility presentations
- Researching accessible tourism and travel best practices
- Researching existing accessible tourism services, products and experiences in our region
- Highlighting accessible experiences on thompsonokanagan.com (for example, see this post)
- Promoting support agencies for people with different abilities
- Enhancing the lives of people with disabilities through awareness and knowledge