Join an exciting team and award-winning organization focused on the advancement of the Tourism Industry in the Thompson Okanagan Region!
The challenging mandate of Thompson Okanagan Tourism is to promote, foster and develop tourism within the region by planning and implementing innovative marketing and stakeholder development projects, showcasing the region to the world, organizing stakeholder training programs and special events, attracting and building new tourism markets, and forging leading-edge partnerships with numerous public, private, and non-profit agencies.
Come grow, learn and contribute to the Thompson Okanagan lifestyle by joining TOTA.
Visitor Centre Councillors
Route 97 Connector Visitor Inspiration Centre
3960 Highway 97c, Peachland, BC
Three positions available.
Two positions for seasonal part-time May-Oct 2018 and one seasonal full-time summer student position May-August.
The Summer student position requires a full-time student returning to studies in the fall. Must be able to work weekends.
Our Visitor Centre Councillors are our front-line ambassadors. Their ability to help a visitor creates a lasting impression that is critical to the success of our industry.
Working from our Route 97 Connector Visitor Inspiration Centre on Highway 97C near Peachland and West Kelowna, British Columbia here is your chance to utilize your solid communication and retail skills.
Provide impartial and objective information about the Thompson Okanagan Region, Route 97 and BC in general in person, on the internet and by phone. Specific duties include:
- Must ensure that all visitors to the Visitor Centre are served with pride, professionalism and efficiency.
- Answer visitor inquiries, problems & complaints on the phone, email and in person to the best of their ability.
- Research relevant community information that may be of interest to visitors.
- Keep brochure and merchandise racks & storage organized and well-filled.
- Keep accurate statistics regarding visitors and submit to Destination BC Visitor Services.
- Keep Visitor Centre well-stocked with information pertaining to the tourism industry.
- Must be well informed and promote special events happening in the region.
- Promote local tourism products, services and events and provide assistance with accommodation and tour reservations.
- Post current information of interest to the visitor on Visitor Centre social media accounts (Facebook / Twitter) and support online communications through the Destination BC Social Media Visitor Services program
- Maintain a “peak period” accommodation vacancy registry. i.e. Concert weekend.
- Must participate in familiarizations tours of the regional destinations and products and work with industry partners.
- Develop sales techniques and make handle cash transactions for merchandise in the Centre.
- Open and close the Visitor Centre, including cash out and balance of Visitor Centre float, and inventoried items for sale.
- Keep the Info Centre clean also the facilities and the parking lot.
- Perform other administrative tasks as required.
- Excellent customer service skills, and previous experience in sales and cash handling.
- Ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written formats.
- Outgoing and friendly demeanor.
- Work well independently and as part of a team, with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multitask and demonstrate initiative.
- Resourceful with an extensive knowledge of British Columbia, specifically the Thompson Okanagan area.
- Having or showing an interest in developing a thorough understanding of the First Nations culture, storytelling, and history
- Good working knowledge of computers, specifically Microsoft Office, internet search engines and social media.
- Availability for weekends and / or statutory holidays is mandatory
- Valid driver’s license and access to own transportation is mandatory (no transit in area)
- First aid training an asset
- Knowledge of a second language an asset
We encourage you to visit our website to learn more about our organization at totabc.org
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association
Attention: Frank Stewart, Visitor Centre Manager
We thank everyone for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
* Phone calls will not be accepted
Closing Date: April 24, 2018