Join an exciting team and award winning organization focused on the advancement of the Tourism Industry in the Thompson Okanagan Region!
The challenging mandate of Thompson Okanagan Tourism is to promote, foster and develop tourism within the region by planning and implementing innovative marketing and stakeholder development projects, showcasing the region to the world, organizing stakeholder training programs and special events, attracting and building new tourism markets, and forging leading-edge partnerships with numerous public, private, and not-profit agencies.
Visitor Experience Councillors
Thompson Okanagan Connector Visitor Centre
Seasonal full-time and part-time positions
Commencing July 2017 – October 2017
Our Visitor Experience Councillors are our front-line ambassadors. Their ability to help a visitor creates a lasting impression that is critical to the success of our industry.
Working from our Thompson Okanagan Connector Visitor Centre on Highway 97C near Peachland and West Kelowna, British Columbia here is your chance to utilize your solid communication and retail skills. These seasonal full and part-time (July-October) positions will enable you to provide your superb visitor servicing experience within a centre that hosts nearly 60,000 visitors annually.
The employee will provide impartial and objective information and advice on the Thompson Okanagan Region in person and on the phone and will serve as the tourism product knowledge expert. Specific duties include:
- Must ensure that all visitors to the Visitor Centre are served with pride, professionalism and efficiency.
- Answer visitor inquiries, problems & complaints on the phone, email and in person to the best of their ability.
- Research relevant community information that may be of interest to visitors.
- Keep brochure and merchandise racks & storage organized and well-filled.
- Keep accurate statistics regarding visitors and submit to Destination BC Visitor Services daily.
- Keep Visitor Centre well-stocked with information pertaining to the tourism industry.
- Must be well informed and promote special events happening in the region.
- Promote local tourism products, services and events and provide assistance with accommodation and tour reservations.
- Post current information of interest to the visitor on Visitor Centre social media accounts (Facebook / Twitter).
- Maintain a “peak period” accommodation vacancy registry. i.e. Concert weekend.
- Must participate in familiarizations tours of the regional destinations and products and work with industry partners.
- Develop sales techniques and make handle cash transactions for merchandise in the Centre.
- Open and close the Visitor Centre, including cash out and balance of Visitor Centre float, and inventoried items for sale.
- Keep the Info Centre clean also the facilities and the parking lot.
- Perform other administrative tasks as required.
- Excellent customer service skills, and previous experience in sales and cash handling.
- Ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written formats.
- Outgoing and friendly demeanor.
- Work well independently and as part of a team, with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multitask and demonstrate initiative.
- Resourceful with an extensive knowledge of British Columbia, specifically the Thompson Okanagan area.
- Having or showing an interest in developing a thorough understanding of the First Nations culture, storytelling, and history to ensure it is shared to visitors in a respectful and qualified way.
- Good working knowledge of computers, specifically Microsoft Office, internet search engines and social media.
- Availability for weekends and / or statutory holidays is mandatory
- Valid driver’s license and access to own transportation is mandatory (no transit in area)
- First aid training an asset
- Knowledge of a second language an asset
We encourage you to visit our website to learn more about our organization at www.totabc.org
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association
Attention: Rob Grifone, Visitor Centre Manager
We thank everyone for their interest however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
* Phone calls will not be accepted
Come grow, learn and contribute to the Thompson Okanagan lifestyle by joining TOTA.